Friday, October 22, 2010

Is Feminism Gone Wrong?



Recently, I had an interesting conversation with someone on feminist ideals and we both arrived at the idea or rather the question: Is Feminism today gone wrong? Of course, he said yes and I didn't know if I wanted to answer back.  In the 1960's feminism was a big movement in which many women who participated wanted to stop being constricted exorcising their rights (i.e certain job positions, etc). The feminists who protested fought for what most of us females today have. However, at the end of that movement things seem to have gone out of control. The common view that women are superior than men has become a shared aspect of feminists today. More people have gone against the feminist's views(Susan Pinker) and others have decided to believe in it like a religion. I personally am not saying every feminist or non-femenist thinks this way; but majority goes to either extreme. I would like to have a nice conversation on the rights of a female with someone, whether they are male or female,without having to worry if being a feminist is wrong or misunderstood. When I say I am feminist, I mean that women should have equal opportunity as men to get equal paying jobs, or that it shouldn't be reprimanded or looked down upon if a woman decides not to have children. Women shouldn't be seen as some sort of animal or a goddess. They should be seen as human beings. I am not asking to bring the moon to me. I am just asking not be judged for having an opinion despite me having a vagina. Is this wrong?

3 comments:

The Blogger Formerly Known As said...

My humble little opinion for what it’s worth, is that things have got out of hand. The extremists don’t fight for sexual equality anymore, but compete for superiority. Too many assumptions are made, and, you’re so right, at the end of the day, we’re all human beings!
The enigmatic, masked blogger

Miss Bobo said...

Your opinion is worth something. Stop selling yourself short. Can you explain the sexual equality part because I don't have a clear marking on that aspect of your opinion. People make assumptions all the time but the people who are smarter than that choose to stay on those lines. Thank you for opinion

The Blogger Formerly Known As said...

Sorry it’s taken so long to get back to you – yes, I mean the extremists aren’t fighting for sexes to be equal, but trying to be better than, if that makes sense?
The enigmatic, masked blogger